FT-102 deaf as a post

Discuss anything related to any of the Classic Yaesu Transceivers

Moderators: KE7GUY, KC9FOZ, EA5/G0KOM, KG6JEV

FT-102 deaf as a post

Postby Adamgci » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi

I have recently obtained a lovely 102 - its in amazing condition - it had been sat for some time though.

On switching on it had a very poor receive, i have the FT-817 & a FRG-7700 and the receive was really poor compared to them - when it was receiving the signals were strengthening and weakening so i let it warm for some time... I’m only using a random wire connected to the centre of a pl259 / so239 as a receive/listening antenna...

On returning to it the receive was gone completely - nothing at all, even the stronger signals were gone.

I've popped the hood, nothing smells funny, nothing appears blown, all caps look good - i haven’t however opened up where the valves are as i have no experience of valves, of what they should look like nor of what they shouldn’t look like.

I live on a small island between the UK and France (Guernsey, 63,000 people approx) and my options of someone to look at the set are limited... I’m hoping someone here can help here or point me in the right direction...

The 102 has had one very careful owner, hasn’t been messed around with and i would really like to get her back to her former glory - I’m hoping it's something simple like a valve or cap that just needs replacing :-)

Note, i don’t have any licence, I’m on the way very soon for the UK Foundation and Intermediate and then hopefully the Advanced in May (fingers crossed) and would love to get set up and running before then...

Many thanks in advance for any advice / assistance...

All the very best
Adam
Adamgci

Re: FT-102 deaf as a post

Postby N8BHL » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:10 pm

Adam, if you're new to the wonderful 102, the answer to many of your issues will be: change the relays. Particularly the main T/R relay sticks, the primary evidence is lack of receive (either very low or none at all). There are relay kits out there, not sure where right now. There are a lot of 102's in UK, for good reason. You'll probably stir up some more local help. Good luck on your testing!!
N8BHL

Postby Adamgci » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:32 pm

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.....

As per, the receive was indeed very poor and now totally non-existant... :-(

These relays, are they something that's still manafctured or am I looking for old stock? Either way it's really appreciated as gives me a starting point... thank you.

Bests
Adam
Adamgci

Postby wc4r » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:20 pm

wc4r

Return to HF Transceivers