CW fans

Discussion of Morse Issues and operating CW (Morse).

Moderators: KE7GUY, KC9FOZ, EA5/G0KOM, KG6JEV

CW fans

Postby btbcopperclad1 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:08 am

There's a new group at yahoo. Straight Key Century Club (SKCC). For those of you who loved Straight Key Night like I did they have an event the first of each month. Suggested operating freq's:

50.90?

Enjoy!!! :D :D
Ron KD8AMT
btbcopperclad1

Postby VE7ALQ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:05 pm

I belong to FISTS, member number 11117. We have calling frequencies

1.858 mHz
3.558 mHz
7.058 mHz
10.118 mHz
14.058 mHz
21.058 mHz
28.058 mHz

Although I must admit to spending most of my time on 40 meters on the
QRP calling frequency of 7.040 mHz even though I am not running QRP.
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?
VE7ALQ

CW, Yeah Baby

Postby EA5/G0KOM » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:56 pm

I wouldnt have worked half what I have done on 6m if it wasnt for CW, when conditions are marginal, cw is the only way

Quick story, many many moons ago, infact during the CW WW SSB test, I was operating a single op entry from ZC4 (ZC4MK) I always had the 6m rig in the background (by the way just to keep things yaesu, the HF radio then for the contest was an FT-767GX and the 6m Radio was an FT-726R) I heard very faint cw out of the 6m radio on 50.110 but I was in the middle of a huge pileup on 20m at the time, I heard it again, slowly it rose out of the noise, VK9YJ, Cocos Keeling on 6m, I dropped the 767's Mic and flew across the floor to the 6m radio and called him, managed to work him first time on CW, about 10 minutes later signals came right up and I worked him on SSB too with good signals, a first VK9/ZC4 on 6m. thats one of the Cards that takes pride of place in my 6m Collection, one of the other was working Joel N6AMG/KH8 on american samoa for the first ever ZC4/KH8 on 6m, RIP Joel, a fantastic 6m op, anyway getting back to CW, as I said I wouldlnt have worked most of the stuff I have on 6 if it wasnt for the magic band the the magic mode, indeed the first ever ZC4 to North American 6m QSO took place between Rich K1HTV and Me on CW, under very very marginal conditions and a lot of struggle, it just would not have happened on SSB, anyway I could go on forever about 6m but I wont bore you all

Adrian

EA5/G0KOM---ZC4MK---VP8COI
EA5/G0KOM
Site Admin

Postby n5hny » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:49 pm

Thanks for posting the frequencies.

I keep saying I am going to get back on CW.

The story about six meters and cw was interesting. When I got my novice for the second time in the early 80s, I bought an FT-7 on the recomendation of a friend. He said it was only 20 watts but I would be making a lot of QSOs with that radio.

I had my doubts, but bought it anyway. Man was he right ! I used a 80/40 trap inverted vee with the apex at 50 feet.

I worked all over the place with that thing. My first DX was Costa Rica on 80 meters with it. I discovered 40 meters and I was hooked on that band after that. I later found I could get up early on Saturday mornings and actually work DX into Europe on 15 meters and that was really exciting.

When I got my general class, I got a rude suprise. I found I couldn't work very many people on SSB. I just about never finished a QSO on phone. It seemed 20 watts input on SSB was not the same as 20 watts inpiut on CW.

I know all sorts of amatuers today good and bad. None but maybe one or two work CW. The rest want to stay on 80 meter phone with an amplifier running constantly. I tune down into the CW portions and there are just a few stations, not the crowded CW portions I remember.

Cw is still an excellent mode for amatuers. I will get back on. Lets see now, K means back to you and SK means ............
n5hny

Postby KC9ECI » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:52 pm

As a member of the SKCC, I'd like to remind everyone that tonight is SKCC night, warm up the tubes, tune the rig and let's pound some brass!

I've got to keep an eye on my daughter for a little while until her mother gets home, then call the Sunday night net on 2M, but about 9PM wisconsin local time, I'm gonna warm up the 101 and see what I can scare up pounding out CQ SKCC...

Feel free to stop by the SKCC web forum ( http://www.skccgroup.com/phpBB2/index.php )and post some commentary in the Soapbox forum...no registration required...if you work some SKCC members.

Hope to see you all there!
"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

SKCC 1
KC9ECI

Return to CW Corner