Ft-726r

Discuss anything related to any of the Classic Yaesu VHF/UHF Transceivers

Moderators: KE7GUY, KC9FOZ, EA5/G0KOM, KG6JEV

Ft-726r

Postby KA3OHL » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:28 pm

I have a Yaesu FT-726r with a 10 meter unit in it. I have been unable to find any information whether a 6 meter unit was modified of if this was a unit that Yaesu made?
Thanks, Ryan
KA3OHL

Re: Ft-726r

Postby g1zjq » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:00 am

Ryan,

There was an optional HF unit produced. It seems fairly rare but included 21MHz, 24MHz, 26-27MHz and 28-30MHz.
If your unit is only for 10m then that is even rarer or indeed a 6m conversion.
Hope someone else can shed more light for you.

(FT726 - nice concept but a box of many issues these days.)

73, Derek
G1ZJQ
g1zjq

Re: Ft-726r

Postby N8YX » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:57 pm

The HF module was meant for satellite work.

Some OSCARs used 2M up/10M down, and the RS- series used a 15M downlink.

I have four '726Rs. Two are configured with HF/2M/432MHz modules, the Sat board and the narrow CW filter. The other two are configured with 6/2/440MHz modules and Piexx tone encoders, and are primarily used for FM simplex and repeater work. I may fit narrow CW filters to all of them, eventually.

As a note of interest: The chassis came set up to transceive wherever the HF module could operate. That is, full coverage from 26-30MHz. This could be defeated by the installation of a couple of diodes but all of my rigs came sans diodes and with no evidence they'd ever been installed. The extended range would come in handy for transverter use, one supposes.

There are rumors of an EU-spec 4M module being available for these rigs as well as the FTV-901R. I have a couple of junk 2M modules and one day am going to have a go at converting them to our 222MHz band.

All of mine have been relatively trouble-free. Yaesu used good quality components in sets of this era so electrolytic capacitor failures aren't that common. The other gotcha may be the use of CMOS technology, which can fail and which can be damaged by improper soldering and handling. If you need to work on your rig, make sure to use a static mat...grounding wrist strap...and a low voltage DC iron with a grounded tip.
N8YX

Return to VHF/UHF Transceivers