FTV-250

need information about accessories for your classic yaesu then post here

Moderators: KE7GUY, KC9FOZ, EA5/G0KOM, KG6JEV

FTV-250

Postby ke7kpb » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Looking for a hook up diagram to so I can build the right cabling to hook a FT101E to FL2100 and a FTV 250
I know it is through the acc plug but they don't show anything to keep the FL 21200b in circuit.
Bob.
ke7kpb
ke7kpb

Postby N2NF » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Bob,

If you don't already have a copy of the FT-101 service manual, you should download a free copy from this web site. It gives a clear breakout of the pins used by the transverter. However, you are right, I don't see a diagram with both wired up. Looking at the amp, it uses pins 7,8, and 9 from the accessory socket. It appears that wiring for a transverter uses pins 1 through 9. So, my guess is, assuming you have the rig to transverter cable, you would have to use that cable or make a new one that breaks out 7, 8, and 9 for the amp. My guess is you are doing this as a matter of convenience since you can't use the 2100 when using the transverter.

Hope this helps,
Bob, N2NF
N2NF
N2NF

Postby N2NF » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Bob,

Thinking about this a little more. You may not want to have those components wired together and that is because the heater voltage to the finals is supplied through a jumper in the accessory plug, pins 1 and 2 I believe. The 12BY7A driver gets heater voltage separately and that is mostly likely required for transverter operation. You definetly don't want the finals on when using the transverter and hence that is why we don't see a diagram in any manual for both connected at the same time.
Sorry for the confusion, must be the time change today.

Bob
N2NF
N2NF

Postby ke7kpb » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:28 pm

I find this interesting since they show the complete station with both the 6 meter and the 2 meter transverters tied into the fl2100b. I was wondering if they have some sort of interlock system so the amp will not fire when the transverters are being used.
Bob.
ke7kpb
ke7kpb

Postby N2NF » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi Bob,

Since I never owned an FTV-250, I thought I should read the manual before I tried to give some more advice. If you refer to page 7, figure 2 of the FTV-250 manual you will see a diagram of the interconnection for the 101 and the FTV-250. I am assuming that your station is setup this way. Looking at the back of the FTV-250 there are two accessory sockets, one for the cable going to the 101 and one for either the accessory plug that used to be on the back of your rig or a daisy chained cable going to a 6 meter transverter as depicted in figure 3. So if you have the original accessory plug with the jumper between pins 1 and 2 on the back of the FTV-250, you should be able to wire up a jumper from that plug, pins 7,8, and 9 and route that to the amp. A quick review of the schematic for the FTV-250 shows that the 2M socket and the 6M socket are in parallel. So when the FTV-250 is off the heater voltages to the final tubes in the 101 will be on due to the jumper in pins 1 and 2. When you turn the FTV-250 on, heater voltage to the finals in the 101 should be cut off due to a relay breaking the connections between pins 1 and 2 and the final tubes should not glow. On the other hand heater voltage to the 12BY7A driver should be on and the tube will glow.

Can you confirm that your station is seutp as in figure 2 and you have both normal HF and 2 meter operation without the amp in line? That would be important before proceeding with the additional connection from pins 7,8, and 9.

Hope this helps,
Bob
N2NF
N2NF

Return to Accessories