Tuning Slugs

L@@king for info for your amplifier

Moderators: KE7GUY, KC9FOZ, EA5/G0KOM, KG6JEV

Tuning Slugs

Postby KC0UZK » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi Yaesu user forum . How is the best way to loosen a tuning coil slug that is stuck without damaging it . This seems to be an ongoing problem with old rigs and amps .
My idea was to use a heat gun and warm up the waxed coil enough to free the slug . Has anyone had any luck with this thought ?
Thanks to all who reply . 73 , KC0UZK
Rick Johnson
KC0UZK
KC0UZK

Postby PA0PGA » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:40 pm

A heat gun is not the best instrument, way to hot and you will only cook everything in the neighbourhood of the coilform.
Use instead a hair dryer and make a nozzle for it from an old QSL card to pinpoint the heat where it is necessary. Use the lowest heat
A small regulated solder station will do also, if you put it in the lowest heat.
Yust be careful to heat the core only, the coil form is not heat resistant, so make it as short as possible.
With care it can be done.

Success, 73, Wim PA0PGA
PA0PGA

Tuning Slugs

Postby KC0UZK » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks for the tip . Makes good since not to heat the ciol form too much . I do have several tuning slugs in different equipment that needs attention . I will post my results . Thanks . KC0UZK
Rick Johnson
KC0UZK
KC0UZK

Tuning Slugs

Postby KC0UZK » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi group , well I haven't had much luck loosening the tuning slugs using a hair dryer . Bummer . It did sound like a good idea though . I will be back with my reply after I figure out a way to loosen then up without dystroying then . 73 , KC0UZK
Rick Johnson
KC0UZK
KC0UZK

Return to Amplifiers QRO