FL2100Z KO on 20Mt

L@@king for info for your amplifier

Moderators: KE7GUY, KC9FOZ, EA5/G0KOM, KG6JEV

FL2100Z KO on 20Mt

Postby IK4JQS » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:07 pm

Hello people, i search in all topic but do not read info for my problem.
Well ....the problem is only on 20 Mt, the technical info give who with a 50 ohm dummy load the best tuning is with PLATE abt 7 and LOADING abt 3.
I have a different setting the PLATE is 10(variable all OPEN) and LOADING abt 4, well in a last trasmission i remember who have a problem ....the power changing from 600 W to 350W with a little descharge in the amplifier!!!!!!
The other band the tuning is correctly like the manual.... but on 20mt NO.

Best regards and 73s for all ....and with plesure i recive all info.

IK4JQS Maurizio
IK4JQS

FL-2100Z RF Amplifier

Postby Ghostwriter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:16 am

Hello Maurizio,

I brought up the FL2100Z RF Amplifier on this website and studied the Plate, Band Switch & Loading Controls circuitry. I think your RF problem is center around the Band Switch S7 section b which controls the proper amount of Inductance into the 20 Meter Plate Output Line. You could have developed either a Cold Solder connection on the Multi-Tapped L7 Coil or you have Dirty Switch Contacts and/or an Open connection for the 20 Meter position.

http://www.securesystemsnw.com/ft/ft-library/FT101ZD-901-902/FL-2100Z.pdf

Dan
WA9WVX
Ghostwriter

Postby IK4JQS » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:43 am

Hello Gostwryter...this nigth i go to sleep very late ....and with my bad surprise :shock: i look the problem of my amplifier, yes the switch who you give have a problem :( .
I think who the bad contact from the metal cursor and the pin of the switch (in the time)create a higth temperature , in conseguence the solder connection are damaged (in frequently Higth temperature ) and in conseguence the joint resulte now COLD.
Now enter a new problem ...to changing the section damaged because i look who is impossible to substitute the pin damaged, in this moment i look to search the solder core with Sn-Cu-Ag (leadfree core) for the create a new solder connections.
Tanks for the moment....73 to all....and for all help i am here...ciao.
IK4JQS

search S7 switch...story

Postby IK4JQS » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Hello people...now ...after the result of analisys to the S7 switch of FL2100Z i have started the search of this switch, new or used ..."good used" is the same.
Sending much e-mail to the sales-point ....now i loking for all info.

73 to all info

IK4JQS
Maurizio
IK4JQS

FL2100Z switch band S7

Postby IK4JQS » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:38 pm

For all....have notice for possible kit to modify the section of switch band in module with relay????
Is a idea?!?!

73s de IK4JQS
IK4JQS

Rotary Switch Versus Ralay Switching

Postby Ghostwriter » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:03 pm

Hello Maurizio,

I've been giving much thought about your RF Amplifier 20 meter problem since our earlier written correspondence. A relay would be an alternative method for solving this Band Switch Failure but using the idea will require a specialized relay to accomplish the modification. Since this deals with High Voltages in the RF Power Amplifier Compartment, you will be required to purchase a Vacuum Relay to prevent Arc Over problems while the 20 Meter L7 section is not in use. The High Voltage Plate Line has +2400V DC on it in Stand By and probably drops a few hundred volts on transmit. I've researched some Military Surplus components at Fair Radio Sales here in the U.S.A. and I'm providing their website link:

http://www.fairradio.com/

And the actual link page:

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=view&categoryid=4227

I'm recommending either the RJ1A-26S for$58.00 Each USD or the RF4B-26N578 for $39.50 Each USD mainly for the individual High Voltage Ratings. It would be wise to connect the wire from L7 20 Meter Tap using a TEFLON Jacket or Sleeve over the wire to Vacuum Relay Contacts to prevent Arc Over possibilities from occuring.

Perhaps you have a supplier source for these Vacuum Relays over in Italy or Europe to keep your financial expense to a minimum.

The other issue is the activation of this type of Relay since it requires +28V DC, an external Switch and a +28V DC Power Source. Of you've got to determine where this Vacuum Relay can be mounted (Physical Size) internally in the RF Power Amplifier's compartment.

Dan
WA9WVX
Ghostwriter

Postby IK4JQS » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:29 pm

Hello Dan tanks for info.
I understand the problem who you expliche me, i want to try this solutions and at work is possible to testing the insulation with the equipement used for checking the medical assembly who permise testing over 5000 volts.
Now i search the tecnical info of this relay and talking with the supplier of PCB board for have info for solutions in this problem.
Tanks again for your collaboration, if you have other info i am very happy to read you agn, also is the same for me to give you result or more.

all the best Dan
73s de IK4JQS Maurizio
IK4JQS

High Voltage Vacuum Components

Postby Ghostwriter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:40 pm

Hello Maurizio,

Looks like we are on the same wavelenght as for our thinking process for how to solve the Rotary Switch Failure. When I sent the previous response I forgot to include the OEM's name Jennings and website link so here it is:

http://www.jenningstech.com/

I think the Test Instrument that you're using at work is a Hi-Pot tester to test the voltage break down value. You may want to review the OEMs specifications before performming the actual tests on your relay and RF Linear Amplifier.

Dan
WA9WVX
Ghostwriter

Postby IK4JQS » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:47 am

Hello Dan, yesterday after i have sending a answer to you i search in a Italian section of ARI the mail or notice for my problem and i look , with my interest the same ....http://www.jenningstech.com/... who you tell me here.
Look also the possible relay to use , but important the tecnical info.
Weel now i have all for try a project this possible solution....tanks to you also.

Best regards
all info i send you.

73 de IK4JQS Maurizio
IK4JQS

S7 reworked

Postby IK4JQS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:43 pm

Hello DAN ...hello people, i am here again for more details for the S7 of the FL2100Z in QRT.
Well....after many search of this part (S7 switch) and negative answere i want to try on first to look for a switching system with relay and in second analisys to substitute the contact of a section 2 of the S7 switch.
The second possibility are a immediatly solution and after 1 week of search of the part for repair S7 i am at work to repair it.
Well the result of my work i thik is positive but only the test in trasmission give the level of quality of my work.
in the next week more info for the result of test.

best 73
IK4JQS
Maurizio
IK4JQS

...to be...or do not to be....well to be to be !!!!

Postby IK4JQS » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:55 pm

...yes after 2 hours of try in 20 Mt (the final tube & dummyload tanks me after this test....for pause) the result are ok.
The rotations is sweet, not problem for about 50 rotations in all 2 sens and also the test in TX give good result.
With 60/65 watts input i have about 700 watts output in a dummy load, try in AM and in RTTY for look if have differents result or working in extremly conditions.
I tanks Dan for give me on first the cause of my problem and also for the info for the other solutions in relè module, but the time is not very much for my hobby and this solutions is the first possible with the part who i have at home or in my factory, but if the side of the S7 section are to large is possile who the relè module are a good solutions, the technology are in use , yes much expensive but possible.
For all friends my best regards and i am here if have questions, sorry for my no good english......and also the translator FREE in internet is not much different of my english ..hi hi hi.

Ciao DAN i give my answere to your personal mail to me after i have translate all of your words....

best 73 de IK4JQS Maurizio
IK4JQS

Postby Ghostwriter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:43 am

Hello Maurizio,

The most important news here is you were able to repair the damaged S7 Rotary Switch Contacts and your FL-2100Z YAESU RF Linear Amplifier is usable on all H.F. Bands again!

Dan
WA9WVX
Ghostwriter

Return to Amplifiers QRO