FL-2100B TO FT-980 CONNECTION

L@@king for info for your amplifier

Moderators: KE7GUY, KC9FOZ, EA5/G0KOM, KG6JEV

FL-2100B TO FT-980 CONNECTION

Postby KB3KCJ » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:53 pm

A dear friend has given me a Yaesu FL-2100B. I am trying to hook it up to my FT-980. I understand that I have to have a five (5) pin din plug. (1) Is this one of the old metal cased plugs or one of the modern small din plugs? (2) Unfortunately "Rat Shack" does not carry these plugs (no surprise). (3) I was able to order the five (5) din male to thee (3) pin female plugs at an outrageous price. Is this the XLR plug? :( Is there any way to use or make or engineer some other type of configuration. Thanks in advance for any help.
WITHOUT GOOD FRIENDS, LIFE IS IMPOSSIBLE.
KB3KCJ

DIN Connector

Postby Ghostwriter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:31 am

Hello Wayne,

It seems that you're between a rock and a hard place trying to locate the small Male 5 - Pin DIN connector if this is what you actually need. I did some quick measurements on a small 5-Pin DIN connector and here's what I measured: 2" Overall Length X .5" Diameter (connector cover), Circular Metal Sleeve 3/8" Diameter X .25" Long which would insert into the Chassis Jack on the rear of the FT-980 transceiver. The small DIN Plugs are used commonly on computer keyboards and the mouse. I'm almost positive that I wouldn't recommend a computer's mouse cable because of the diameter of the wire used on those products. The older Large 5-Pin DINS used on computer keyboards were roughly 3/4" to 1" Diameter if my memory serves me correctly.

I don't know what you're going to use a 5-Pin to 3-Pin DIN connector assembly on but who knows what that transition cable was intended for in the first place.

Here's a Parts Source for you to keep as reference material. It's Digi-Keys web link:

http://www.digikey.com/?WT.term=digi-key+catalog&WT.campaign=1448&WT.content=text&WT.medium=cpc&WT.source=google&cshift_ck=1095939920cs506115100&WT.srch=1

Too bad you're a long way from most big cities in PA.

Radio Shack's business is slipping in a downward spirol speed almost ready to crash.

I'm also including a FT-980 web link for the YAESU Transceiver to RF Amplifier interconnections on Pages # 20 & # 21.

http://www.securesystemsnw.com/ft/ft-library/Eighties/FT-980.pdf

Dan
WA9WVX
Ghostwriter

Return to Amplifiers QRO