FT-101e

Discuss anything related to any of the Classic Yaesu Transceivers

Moderators: KE7GUY, KC9FOZ, EA5/G0KOM, KG6JEV

FT-101e

Postby n0uni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:10 am

This is my first on this forum. I have been reading for a few weeks now. I am a Kenwood guy using a TS-530s for HF. Been wanting to get on AM and a friend of mine had an old 101e he didnt want anymore. Its been sitting wrapped in plastic in his garage for 10 years inside a cabinet. Worked fine when he put it there. His son went off to college and the ham gear got packed up.

The radio has overall been working fairly well but it has had some funny things happen every once in a while. Thought I would ask and see what you yaesu experts think it could be. I have tried to clean all contacts and switches. When tuning up the rig seems jumpy. The needle doesnt move at all and then it swings to where it should be ot jumps back and forth. It seems like the longer the radio is on the less this happens. I am wondering if a relay is acting up.

Rig puts out 120watts on 80 but I have noticed 20 meters is way low. Like 30-40 watts.

The speech processor appears to not work.

I have to have the Mic gain all the way up and the ALC meter swings all the way to the right and then dances left as I talk when keyed up.

I have made many sideband contacts and one AM contact the other night. Rig works but I feel like its not working 100% yet. Was wondereing what others thought. Things to check and perhaps possible problems that could show up soon with these symptoms.

Thanks

Todd - N0UNI
n0uni

Postby K7ZRZ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi, Todd,

There's not much going on on this board these days... and the "experts" are not answering the phone either. However, I do have three of the ft-101Es and might be of a little bit of help.

Unfortunately, my rigs are all at the home of a friend ham - but fortunately, he is a great technician, and can probably help you work through this problem. I am going to get him to come on here and address your issue.

Stand by for him, it might be later today or tomorrow.
Brian K7ZRZ
K7ZRZ

Postby K7ZSA » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Todd. The most common causes of intermittant failures in the FT-101 line that I've noticed are dirty switch contacts, circuit boards not tightly bonded to the chassis and tired electrolytic capacitors. You most likely have a little of each of these working against you. The two most useful tools I have for these great old radios is a can of DEOXIT contact cleaner and a capacitor ESR meter. These Yaesus are decades old by now and many of the electrolytic caps have dried out causing an un-acceptable ESR ( equivilant series resistance ) level. Neither a capacitance meter, nor a DMM are much help in isolating these troubles. It would not suprise me that your low mic gain issue is caused by one or more bad caps. This forum has many good down-loadable resources pertaining to the troubls-shooting of the FT-101. Give the rig a good eye-ball up close, check to see that the band-switch is tracking correctly, look for burned switch fingers on the band-switch wafers and be ready to change out some electrolytic capacitors. There are some capacitor kits available on eBay that are priced reasonably and that can save you a lot of time searching for and ordering various capacitors. I did just that for a Yaesu FT-102 I'm currently using and I found seven bad caps in just the power supply boards alone!
Good Luck and 73
Jeff
K7ZSA
K7ZSA

Postby K7ZRZ » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:01 am

Hi again, Todd,

While my buddy, Jeff, is correct on everything he wrote, you might simply just twist the carrier (drive) control knob back and forth many times and see if that affects the next time you try to tune - adding drive - to see if it smoothes out the raising of the rf power level.

Don't forget to advance the processor level ring. I know that Jeff has reported difficulties in one of the 101 rigs with the processor, so it might be something more involved that just making the correct setup adjustments.

Keep us posted on how you get along.
Brian K7ZRZ
K7ZRZ

Postby n0uni » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:58 am

Thanks for the info,. I'll check the boards and make sure they are all seated. I have used deoxit on some stuff.. May use a little more. I saw those caps on ebay. Perhaps I will order some. After replacing the caps is the radio gonna be clear out of alignment and need adjustments?

Todd - N0UNI
n0uni

Postby N8YX » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 pm

n0uni wrote:After replacing the caps is the radio gonna be clear out of alignment and need adjustments?

If only replacing bypass and coupling caps, no.

Start getting into the parts of the circuit which handle RF and IF frequencies and are tunable...yes. Fortunately, you won't see a lot of electrolytics there.
N8YX

Postby K7ZRZ » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Todd,

Any successes?? Is the rig still not functioning properly after some more fiddling? Thanks for coming back to let us know, if you will.
Brian K7ZRZ
K7ZRZ

Postby n0uni » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 pm

K7ZRZ wrote:Todd,

Any successes?? Is the rig still not functioning properly after some more fiddling? Thanks for coming back to let us know, if you will.

Well I pulled out all boards. Used Deoxit on those connectors. Pulled that small relay in the clear plastic out and shot it with a little Deoxit. Things seemed to be much better after that. The rig acts right now when you tune it and or talk. I suspect the relay was more of a problem then the cards were.

The radio still has some issues.........

The speech proc. just plain dont work. Turn it on and no one will hear you. Mic gain has to be completely up to talk. It will tune up to max power in 40-80-160 but barely puts out any power on 20-10. I have worked it fairly hard in AM mode a few times. It will talk all night on sideband.

I hear there are 2 small caps that can go bad which knocks the power out on the HF bands on these radios. I need to open it up and follow the schematic to see where they are at. I am a little uneasy getting into the final tube cage.

Still thinking about ordering the cap kits on ebay for it but I still dont know if the rig would benefit from it or not.

Todd
n0uni

Postby n0uni » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:18 pm

One other question about this radio.......I understand why you need to tune differently with AM but still not 100% sure on the procedure. A friend of mine told me to tune the radio for max power like you would on SSB and then back the carrier down to 20-25watts which puts me at about .140ma of current which is what the manual says to stay at in AM mode. Is this the correct way? I have been talking on it in AM and its working fine and not getting hot. I was talking to a guy in Fargo the other night and he kept saying to turn my mic gain up. I told him its all the way up so I wonder still from my previous message if I dont have something right yet in the rig. I have also realized I am a very small fish in the pond when you start talking with the AM boys! HAHA! I have also noticed when talking AM for a while the .140ma will go up and down. I have to make adjustments on the carrier every once in a while. It gets a little low or it gets too high.

My first AM contact I was rag chewin with a guy and started to smell things. Noticed the rig was HOT. Every inch of the rig was HOT. If it was metal it was HOT! Even the furthest corner of the case was HOT to the touch. For some reason my fan hung up and wasnt spinning. I had already taken it apart and had to clean it to get it to work as it was locked up when I got the rig out of the storage. Fan hasnt had a problem since as I have kept and eye on it and it runs very cool as long as that fan spins!

Also have discovered I have the Heil HC-4 element in the D-104 that came with it. Radio gets good reports on SSB and when the AMers can hear me it gets good reports there.

We are getting there but I am no expert and need all the help I can get for this 101e so thanks to all that have given advice.

Todd
n0uni

FT101e

Postby vk3act » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi Todd,
It is very important that you check the 82pf & 1000pf coupling capacitors from the 12BY7 Driver to the 6JS6C Finals. These caps are very prone to going leaky. If they fail they can cause the sort of problems you are having with the power jumping around and overheatng etc. The worst case cenario is that the finals can fail and take out the power transformer. But I would replace them regardless.
And of course as Jeff said replace all the electrolytics. Dont even bother checking them. Just get the capacitor kit off eBay and change them all.
Ray, VK3ACT :D
vk3act

Return to HF Transceivers