FT 101E. Low output on 10 and 15 Meters

Discuss anything related to any of the Classic Yaesu Transceivers

Moderators: KE7GUY, KC9FOZ, EA5/G0KOM, KG6JEV

FT 101E. Low output on 10 and 15 Meters

Postby musketeer58 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:28 am

Hi all. I have a problem with one of my FT 101e radios and I`m hoping that somebody might be able to steer me in the right direction. On 20 to 160 meters it`s fine, it puts out 150 watts however, on 15 meters I can only get 100 watts and on 10 meters I can only manage to get 10 watts. Some people are s telling me that capacitors have deteriorated and a few other suggestions but I really don`t know where to start. The other problem is with the "S" meter. It goes off scale before I get even half way through the tune up proceedure and it`s very lazy on receive. It will only deflect if there is a very strong local signal present. If somebody could give me some advice on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers all
Adrian (VK6ZA)
I`LL BE BACK!
musketeer58

just some random thoughts

Postby Mark_G0YNM_UK » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:01 am

I'm no valve expert by miles and miles, owned FT 101Es and have used plenty of other hybrid HF sets in my time. but take this with a pinch of salt .. :)
first place i would look Adrian is the drive.

the 12by7a driver valve can cause similar symptoms -
does it glow blue on TX ? mine does in my 101zd, (but its fine)
but it usually denotes a soft valve. not sure in the 101E though. all HF rigs i've owned, and the general rule is the PA will generally give a bit less out l as you approach the 10m band.
possibly the set was on 11m SSB and there was some tweaking been done.

depending on ability, u wanna get someone well versed in hybrid HF radios to check em. nasty voltages in there !

there's gonna be more folks offering better info Adrian, but i was just passing mate :)

this chap has something similar to read Adrian perhaps.

http://www.g3ngd.talktalk.net/yaesu.html
- G0YNM -
- 28.495 -
- Linux -
Mark_G0YNM_UK

Re: FT 101E. Low output on 10 and 15 Meters

Postby musketeer58 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks for the reply Mark. Sorry for the delay in replying, it`s just that I havend checked in here for a while. Somebody else suggested that it might be the 12BY7 but I hadn`t thought of that as the output is fine on all other bands. I`m now going to try and get one and I`ll give it a try. Cheers. Adrian.
I`LL BE BACK!
musketeer58

Postby Mark_G0YNM_UK » Sun May 22, 2011 4:53 pm

No probs Adrian .. i forgot too mate. as for HF, remember - even if the set is something like 20w down on TX
it'll make little real difference at the receiving end - but 10w out is a fault. i dont know if just a new driver valve will
restore full power best check the voltages - the *real measured ones* actually quoted in the service manual, and
not just the 'names' of the supply lines . that's an important distinction in older Yaesu gear. good luck mate. be careful in there !
- G0YNM -
- 28.495 -
- Linux -
Mark_G0YNM_UK

Postby N2NF » Sun May 29, 2011 12:35 am

Hi Adrian,

It's possible that you may need to go through the dirver and pa trimmer alignment for 10 and 15 meters.

Review the alignment procedure outlined in the owners manual or service manual. You may find that its just a matter of a small tweak on the trimmer caps.

However, beware that if the trimmers have not been touched in several years you may want to use some contact cleaner with a lubricant or apply some low heat with a heat gun to free them up a bit. If not you run the risk of breaking the trimmer from the wafer. Just a word of caution here.

Hopefully, that gets your power output back up to 100 to 120 watts.

Bob N2NF
N2NF
N2NF

Return to HF Transceivers